In 1774, the name of Kainardzha entered not only Bulgarian, but also European history. The reason for that was the signing of the Kyuchoukkainardzha Peace Treaty between Turkey and Russia, which ordained the patronage of Russia over the Christian population of the Balkan Peninsula. That event was perpetuated in 1892 by building a drinking fountain on the place where the act was performed.